What a mood damper will it be when your much anticipated holiday is ruined by messed-up booking, lacklustre hotel rooms or unfair hotel practices? Know your accommodation rights so that you can choose the best hotel for yourself. Here are some tips for you to consider when you are planning for your next gateway!
Tips for hassle free accommodation
- Paying by credit card can provide you added protection in the form of chargebacks, but be wary of additional fees.
- Book your travel insurance at the same time as you book your accommodation, as some policies cover cancellations.
- Find out if there are any penalties for cancellation.
- Find out if there’ll be any extra costs, such as if they charge for Wi-Fi or for parking.
- Specify at the time of booking any additional requirements you may need, such as a quiet room or a cot for your child.
Many of your rights will be outlined in the terms and conditions of the accommodation supplier. Australian Consumer Law also provides some protections through consumer guarantees, as well as protection against unfair contract terms and unfair practices by businesses. Your rights under Australian Consumer Law will be most applicable for travel within Australia or purchases made within Australia, for example through a travel agent.
Read more about your travel rights overseas below.
Your consumer guarantees mean that accommodation services must be provided:
- with due care and skill,
- so that they are fit for any specified purpose, and
- within a reasonable period of time (if no time was set when booking).
In addition, the hotel or accommodation itself must:
- be safe and of acceptable quality,
- match the description provided when you booked it, and
- be advertised in a manner that is not false or misleading.
Most importantly, none of these rights can be diminished, even if the hotel or accommodation supplier tries to do so by agreement or through terms in a contract.
But what does all this legalese mean when you’re on holiday? You’d rather be relaxing right?
Read the full version of the article here.